SCOPE plays a significant role in promoting the desired growth of higher education through Open-distance learning system (ODL). Our country will be a super power only when it achieves the targeted growth of higher education, which is possible by the intervention of open and distance learning. The University having a strong genesis of the Institute of Correspondence Course and Continuing Education (ICC&CE), a pioneer in the Asian continent, was established in 1996 under the state enactment – SCOPE Act 1992. As lucidly inscribed in its motto “Higher Education to Everyone Everywhere,” SCOPE is evolving the strategies to reach the door-steps of the students not only in the state of Karnataka but also in the country and abroad. For this purpose, SCOPE has established regional centres, even in abroad.
During 2009-2010 the student enrollment in the University has crossed 1.00 lakh. During 2010-2011 the University is expected to enroll over 2.00 lakh students which are possible through its state-of-art infrastructure, committed staff, and managerial skills. SCOPE's community of learners includes Academicians, Administrators, Executives, Officers of Central and State Governments, Politicians, Legal Experts, Artists, Farmers, Writers, Media Persons, Technicians, and others whose age group ranges from 18 to 80 years.
The University encourages the students of Schedule Castes and Schedule Tribes by way of Fee Reimbursement under SC/ST government scholarships. It also encourages the students of economically weaker sections under “Muktha Sanjivini”. Prasaaraanga is playing a significant role in promoting the field of literature through the publications of great works of renowned persons.
The SCOPE established on 1st June 1996 vide Karnataka Govt. Notification No.ED 1 UOV 95 dated 12th February 1996 - SCOPE Act 1992 is considered to be a reputed Open University amongst the open learning institutions in the country. Keeping in view the educational needs of our country, in general, and state in particular the policies and programmes have been geared to cater to the needy.
SCOPE is a recognised University of Distance Education Council (DEC), New Delhi, regular member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Delhi, permanent member of Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), London, UK, Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), Beijing, China, and also has association with Commonwealth of Learning (COL).
SCOPE is situated at the North–western end of the Manasagangotri campus, Mysore. The campus, which is about 5 Kms, from the city centre, has a serene atmosphere ideally suited for academic pursuits. The University houses at present the Administrative Office, Academic Block, Lecture Halls, a well-equipped Library, Guest House Cottages, a Moderate Canteen, Girls Hostel and a few cottages providing limited accommodation to students coming to Mysore for attending the Contact Programmes or Term-end examinations.
Vision & Mission
The University System is a respected higher-learning organization known for its distinctive strengths in providing superior and relevant distance learning programs to its learners. In pursuing this vision, the University System:
1. Creates interactive, effective learning environments for all constituents
2. Serves its constituents’ diverse personal and professional development needs.
3. Expands access to affordable programs to underserved learners
Our mission is to provide quality higher education with emphasis on educating the public by offering respected, relevant, accessible and affordable, student-focused programs, which prepare them for service and leadership in a diverse community.
The SCOPE came into being to achieve the following objectives:
1. Democratizing Higher Education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners
2. Providing access to high quality education to all those who seek it, irrespective of age, region or formal qualifications
3. Offering need based academic programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the programmes
4. Promoting and developing distance education in India
5. Relaxed entry regulations
6. Providing opportunities to study according to one’s own pace and convenience
7. Flexibility in choosing the combination of courses from a wide range of disciplines
8. Providing opportunity to study from one’s own chosen place and pace
The Open-Distance-Learning (ODL) system is a unique and challenging mode of education offered at the University level. This system provides ample opportunities for those who desire to have University education at their place of work or residence. This method is popularly known as Distance Education. It is perhaps the only way to meet the ever-increasing demand for Higher Education especially in a developing country like India. Distance Education programmes are specially designed for:
1. Candidates who discontinue their formal education owing to pecuniary or other circumstances
2. Candidates residing in geographically remote areas
3. Candidates who cannot get admission to a regular college / Post-graduate department
4. Employed persons who cannot pursue their study as full-time candidates
5. Individuals who wish to pursue learning for knowledge sake
6. Candidates who wish to update knowledge and skills
The Open-Distance-Learning (ODL) system is perhaps the only system that has been planned in such a way that it is able to cater to all those who desire to seek Higher Education in spite of the fact that they are in a disadvantageous position due to social, economic, spatial and such other reasons. Also to cater to the increasing demand for Higher Education, flexibilities in terms of age, qualification, location, time, etc., have been introduced to the maximum extent.